Tuesday 28 February 2012

The Olympic Stadium beckons.

Firstly, I would like to thank everyone who has sponsored me so far for my Gold Challenge. I have won a place in the Olympic Stadium test event running 100 metres. I am very excited. It is going to be a great day. There's a parade (I think it's supposed to be like a pretend opening ceremony), the charity mascots race and us Gold Challengers running 100 metres. They are making an event of it with Spellbound from Britain's Got Talent and other guests. There is also talk of a 'special guest'. I am of course hoping that we're going to get the news that S Club 7 are reforming and are going to be that 'special guest'. Well, a girl can hope. If you did want to keep Steve company at the event you can buy tickets here. The event is on the 1st April so one month away. Secondly, my knee. Two weeks ago I had my knee surgery. My last blog post was full of optimism (work in 2 weeks and sport in 6 weeks). That didn't go quite to plan. Basically, we were expecting them to do a trim of my meniscus cartilage but they did a repair which means they stitched it up. This makes my recovery is much slower. I have to take 6 weeks off work (so another month to go....) and I am in a cricket splint when I mobilise. I see the physio tomorrow so will know how long I am in the splint for and to see how it is going. The first three days post operative were awful. I did not expect it to be quite as bad (they fill your knee with local anesthetic during the operation so they give you with a false sense of security) but it is gradually getting better. I still can't walk far and need my crutch if I am going further than around the house and I quite comically have one big leg and one little leg as my muscles are disappearing fast. Hopefully I'll get some exercises tomorrow to build them up. I can almost guarantee that I won't be sprinting 100metres in the Olympic Stadium event but my aim is to get from the start to the finish. That's what's keeping me going at the moment. Thirdly, Sports. That's what I am supposed to be doing. Obviously at the moment I am limited at what I can do. I can only do something that involves 'standing' and that doesn't involve much effort to get to and from. I am hoping to get back to archery this week as I haven't been able to get out the house for the last two weeks. I have two more sessions to do and then I have completed the beginners course. I am also going to book a couple of air rifle sessions in the weeks ahead too. Air rifles excite me as Steve is going to do it with me too. I have also been looking though the sports list and swapping and changing the sports to the most knee friendly sports. When I signed up for the challenge I was hoping to do a half marathon but now my big aim is to do a 5k park run in July. I am also going to book an open water swim in July too. If you haven't yet sponsored me and want to/ are able to, you can here. Once again, thank you everyone for your support. It is very much appreciated- and all the support and sponsorship is keeping me going to get better and get running as soon as possible.

2 comments:

  1. Hello little bethan, I have finally got round to checking out your blog to catch up with were your at sport and knee wise and noticed you have'nt got many comments - so expect some mundane drivel from me every once in a while. now I hope you are feeling better and resting/gently exercising were appropiate? you are doing really well, so keep going for gold yeh xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cheers Zoe. No gentle exercise yet, walking to physio yeserday wiped me out so walking is as far as it goes. Next week I am going to book rifle shooting thought as I can do that with my gammy knee.

    Thank you for the comment :-)

    ReplyDelete