Saturday 12 May 2012

Foiled with fencing.

After a quiet few months while my knee recovered I am back on the challenge with fencing. On Thursday Steve and I walked round to a local secondary school to start our beginners course. Now, Steve was the captain of his school fencing club so he is not strictly a beginner so he took to it like a duck to water but I have a feeling I'm not going to be a natural fencer. I was a little concerned about all the lunging with my knee- my physio assured me that I'd be fine and with a few adjustments to my stance it held up really well.

It is a six week course and on the first session we learnt the basic stances, moving forwards and backwards, basic attacking and defending and we did a bit of sparring at the end. It was great fun and a really good workout- especially doing it in the armour and helmet.

I am in the last few months of my challenge now. I have to get cracking to get all the sports done by the Olympics but I will complete the challenge. Typically, lots of the sports clubs I have found seem to be on a Thursday evening so I think I'll be busy on a Thursday until my challenge ends. I have lots of sports in the pipeline and will keep you updated as I go along.

I have done so well with my fundraising so far, but as it's the 2012 Olympics I am determined to raise £2012 for Dementia UK. Please have a look at their page to see the amazing work that they do. If you are able to sponsor me, you can here. Even if it is only £1, it will be greatly appreciated.

I will post more about my fencing course as it goes on as well as my other sports (with pictures when I get a new Dementia UK T Shirt as my other one had a washing machine incident with a pair of red jeans!)

1 comment:

  1. Hi Bet
    excellent news on knee recovery,I love the idea of fenceing i.e all the swashbuckleing action but know you have to be fit to do it - which I'm not! Steve seems to have choosen the most violent activites at school instead of watching 'Maid Marian and her merry men' like us? get swashbuckling zx

    ReplyDelete